Sunday, August 28, 2011

Initial Impressions

We made it! It was nearly two full days of travel and plenty of European Man smell later that we landed in Uganda and made the crazy/terrifying car ride to the capital city Kampala. It appears that in Uganda, a two lane road can quickly become a seven lane road if the people in front of you are going slower than one would like.
Right now we are sitting in our hotel room (we meaning Melissa and Katie - two women also going out to help at Restore for three months, and myself) and hearing an animal call outside that sounds like a monkey. Nowhere else have I been where someone honestly asked if we also heard the monkey outside. And this is still the capital city so I can imagine what it will be like in Gulu which is a much smaller, rural town. My mind is already opening so much as well as my appreciation for indoor plumbing.

4 comments:

  1. so glad you made it safely! yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess. I love you so much. I love that you are blogging this adventure and that I will get to read your words. That drive sounds very wild.. and I love that you are enjoying monkeys. Mostly I am just so glad you are there safe and you told us you were. I have been holed-up watching Anne of Green Gables movies with allison + others... with the last of the hurricane passing by overhead. Its been a good day for us.. thank you for praying. I love you so much. I will miss you the most in the whole world. But maybe I will miss you a little less because Allison just gave me a button with a picture of you in your wildfires gymnastics leotard... and with bangs. This will help with the sadness...even if it's not the same. I think I will wear it everyday.

    Love,
    Your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also... perhaps you can tell by how extreme sounding I am that I was hanging out with Allison when I wrote that last bit.
    miss you! praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I am very happy to see your humor coming through in this blog! Cant wait to read more! Post pictures too!

    ReplyDelete